Friday, March 11, 2011

CT Update

Well, nothing good to report after my CT.  My abdominal CT showed significant inflammation of my stomach and duodenum (upper portion of the small intestine). 

My gastroenterologist has scheduled me for the first available gastroscopy at the hospital on Monday.  He will be looking for ulcers, lesions, plaque, bacteria, etc. that is causing the inflammatory response in my GIT that has prevented me from eating a real meal in almost a week now. 

He will also be taking biopsies from my stomach to send to the pathology lab. 

I feel a little bit better, but I still can't eat.  I tried to eat some chicken and rice soup and a potato last night and have been sick since 5:30AM this morning. 

I have a feeling all of this is related to the high doses of oral antibiotics I am taking to treat my diseases.  I have been in treatment for 7.5 months now and have had complications from the antibiotics the entire time. 

Don't get me wrong, I would MUCH rather experience the complications than suffer from this disease for the rest of my life, but it only makes recovery that much more difficult and tedious. 

My LLMD has instructed me to stay off of my antibiotics until I get the biopsy/gastroscope results.  I went off of them last Sunday, so by the time I get results and know what is going on medically, it will be about 1.5 weeks off of my medications.

This is such a catch-22 for me.  On one hand it might give me some temporary relief, but on the other that is 1.5 weeks for the bacteria to flourish and reproduce. 

I'm hoping my LLMD will switch me off oral antibiotics to IV antibiotics when I go back to see him at the end of April.  I have not tolerated the oral antibiotics well since I started treatment.  I have had GIT issues, yeast infections in my mouth, and mouth sores that do not heal. 

I probably won't post over the weekend unless something drastically changes, but I just wanted to give you all an update.  I will post on Monday evening or Tuesday morning once I recover from the procedure. 

Love you all very much! 

1 comment:

  1. I've been off of my antibiotics for a while as well due to complications with my gallbladder and then having it removed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, huh? I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete